Naar personenbestand
 Search for names






























This page has been
translated by
Greet Salmon-Schuurman



At the end of the 17th century  there lived in Nijeveen, in the province of Drenthe, one Luichen Roelofs Murris. In 1712 he married Hendrickjen Peters Johncker. They had three children Willem Luchies (1713-1788), Trijntien Luchies (1716-1750) and Roelof Luchies (1718-?)

Family names were not in common use before 1811 in the Records of small towns.
Een Kraak
one was  known by the father’s name (a patronym). That is how the Luichen children were named “Luichies”. We know that Willem Luchies moved to Amsterdam. He was a kraak skipper.
In large towns family names were more common and Willem conformed, but he shortened the name Murris to Mur. That is how our family name originated. But we do not descend from this Willem Luchies Mur. He is the ancestor of the Amsterdam branch, but this branch has died out in the male line.

We know nothing about the fate of Trijntien, but Roelof Luchies stayed in Drenthe and kept  Murris as his family name. In 1749 this Roelof Luchies Murris  married Jentien Een KaagschipHendriksd Prins. They had three children Luchien Roelofs Murris (1750-1809), Hendrik Roelofs Murris (1752-1813) and Gerrit Murris (1761-1840).We know Luchien  moved to Amsterdam and probably joined his other family, who were Kaag skippers . He changed his  regional forename (from the province of Drente) to Lucas. We descend from this Lucas.


The Murris family located in Meppel and the surrounding area descend from Hendrik and Gerrit, so we are related.


They probably sailed the river Vecht to Utrecht and so regularly moored in Breukelen. That is where Lucas may well have met Fijtje Slot. Anyway, they were married in 1782.
The Marriage register, which is located in the National Archive in Utrecht states that:

“Married Lucas Mur, born in Kolderveen in the province of Drent and Fijtje Slot, born in Breukelen had their Banns called three times without objection and were joined in Matrimony by our esteemed  minister N.Schnitzel on 19th May 1782”.

Kasteel Nijenrode

Lucas Mur was born on 9th August 1750 in Kolderveen. He married Fijtje Slot (1762-1835) in Breukelen on 19th May 1782. He became a coachman at  Nijenrode Castle.


The horse-drawn barge as well as the coach were very popular at that time. It was no fun to travel in a coach over  unpaved roads. By using the horse-drawn barge “[....] Trekschuitmany dangers and discomforts were avoided by the traveller by water; the journey is shortened and (this transport) can  be used even in  frosty or windy weather” .
 So it was stated when  the
Decision was taken to construct the canal and towpath between Amsterdam and Haarlem.


Lucas borrowed money from his boss Johan III Ortt, at that time the owner of Nijenrode Castle, he bought a horse-drawn barge and started a regular service along the river Vecht between Amsterdam and Utrecht. He thus laid the foundation for the transport companies which carried the name Mur along the major roads of Europe.


Lucas and Fijtje had six children, four sons and two daughters. The first two died when young. Roelof reached the age of 5  and Antje lived until she was 3 years old. There was another daughter also named  Antje, she lived until she was 42. Another Roelof  was born next; he survived until he was 82, which was considered very old in those days. Jacob  the 5th child,  lived until he was 32. We don’t know of any descendants.  The last one was Willem, he reached the age of 83!

Lucas died on 5th October 1808 in Breukelen. The following information was found in the Utrecht National Archive:

“Lucas Mur was buried in the church, to tolling of the bell, floor covering, opening of the grave, bier and partioning  f.4-19 (four guilders and 19 stivers. Paid 5th October 1809”.

Branches of the family tree

Roelof married three times and had a total of twelve children. The family branches from Loenen, Maarssen and Breukelen are descended from him. These branches are dealt with separately because there are half-brothers involved.

He continued the barge service, which was started by his father. Mur Transport in Loenen (red Mur) and Trio Transport in Breukelen (green Mur) sprang out of this enterprise. He was also active in public life in Breukelen  as a Council member and an Alderman.

married Lammerte Meijers  They had nine children, the ancestors of the branches from Aalsmeer, Kortenhoef, Utrecht and both Loosdrecht branches. We record hese
Oud-Loosdrechtsedijk 69 branches separately because they settled in different places and had varied occupations.

He bought Pieter Loenen’s bakery, which is located along the canal in Loosdrecht opposite the hotel-café-restaurant “The New Bridge” (there used to be a drawbridge once). Willem also established the first post office in Loosdrecht.